New entry Nov 01
Critters is 21!
Yes, 21 years ago Critters was born. Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
The Sigil TrilogyIf you're looking for an amazing, WOW! science fiction story, check out THE SIGIL TRILOGY. This is — literally — one of the best science fiction novels I've ever read.
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
P&E Seeks New Caretaker
Unfortunately, much of the data on the P&E site has become stale and outdated, and needs a new caretaker with the time required to update the site. The listings are being removed until they can be updated by a new caretaker.
Note that the P&E/Critters Annual Readers Poll will run as usual in January.
If you are interested in taking the reins of P&E, and possess what's needed — at least 20hrs/week to volunteer, excellent investigative skills, in-depth knowledge of the publishing industry, ability to detect scams from not-scams, thick skin, good web site skills, good writing ability — please get in touch. Thanks for your interest!
I'm being interviewed live on public radio for Critters 20th birthday. For those who want to listen, it's on the 10am (Mountain time) show on Thursday, 11/19/16, on Colorado Public Radio - www.cpr.org has streaming on the site or it's 90.1 FM in the Denver area. [Interview is done, you can listen on the site]
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
Network speeding up
I'm switching the connection over to a new, shiny 10X faster network because of all the load. There might be bits of downtime as your boxes learn new addresses and things. Should be brief. Let me know of any prolonged outages you see.
Preditors & Editors Changeover
With the very sad passing of Dave Kuzminski, who ran P&E, I've taken over the P&E duties. Lots of what I hope are improvements; check it out at pred-ed.com.
is Dying has been Replaced
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you need help making ebooks from manuscripts or print copies—or finding great stuff to read—look no further! An ebook publisher started by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Preditors & Editors Poll results
Critique.org now has Workshops for Everything — all genres, music, video, photography, art, apps.....
Convert your work to ebooks! Read great ebooks! The votemaster runs ReAnimus Press
See also the Best-Ever Voters Poll for the best works ever written (not just in the last year)
Short Stories pages: Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Steampunk | All other | Anthologies page | Poems page | Nonfiction articles page | Nonfiction books page |
Other Categories: Artwork page | Book/e-book Cover Artwork page | Magazine/e-zine Cover Artwork page | Authors page | Poets page | Artists page | Book/e-book Editors page | Magazine/e-zine Editors page | Book Publishers page | Review site | Bookstore | Promotional Firms, Sites, and Resources page | Fiction 'zines page | Poetry 'zines page | Nonfiction 'zines page | Writers' Discussion Forum page | Writers' Workshop page | Writers' Resource/Information/News Source page |
Admin: Current standings | Best EVER Poll | Report an Error | VOTE! ]
Standings for Romance Short Stories
1. Quinn's Revenge, Amanda Ashley, Butterfly Press, [link]
2. Winter Moon, Dannika Dark, Dannika Dark, [link][comments]
2. The Power of Love, April Erwin, Solstice, [link][comments]
3. A Vulnerable Woman, Violetta Antcliff, Gypsy Shadow Publishing, [link]
4. Feathers, Vonnie Winslow Crist, Alban Lake Publishing, [link][comments]
5. Timeless Beginnings, Amber Daulton, Books to Go Now, [link][comments]
5. Deeper Than Did Ever Plummet Sound, Rory Ni Coileain, Indie, [link][comments]
5. Charm Me, Tena Stetler, The Wild Rose Press, [link]
6. The Bee Charmer, Poppy Lawless, Love Potion Books, [link][comments]
7. Falling Snow, Stephanie Payne Hurt, Horseshoe Publishing, [link]
7. Yellow Rock, Elle Marlow, Indie, [link]
8. Whispered Love, Kathleen Ball, Forever Home, [link]
8. Play with Me, Lea Bronsen, Writers in Crime, [link]
8. 3 WISHES, Peggy Jaeger, The Wild Rose Press, [link]
9. The Robot Women of New Hetényegyháza, Sergio Palumbo, Excite Spice- Excessica, [link]
9. Queen of the Hollow, Jacci DeVera, Dark Hollows Press, [link]
9. Return Engagement, MC Scout, PbRJV, [link]
9. Common Ground, Judith B. Glad, Uncial Press, [link]
9. Her Red Riding Hood Valentine: Snow Globe Magic Book 3, Cara Marsi, The Painted Lady Press, [link]
9. Gambler's Choice, Linda B Nightingale, The Wild Rose Press, [link]
9. Max Rock, Arabella Cornell, Self published, [link]
9. Gentle Ben, Rita Hestand, smashwords.com, [link]
9. Surprise Me, Anita Kidesu, The Wild Rose Press, http[link]
9. Me + You, Brenda Gayle, The Wild Rose Press, [link][comments]
Looking for something to do?
▶ Read great ebooks or convert your work to ebooks! The votemaster runs ReAnimus Press - Breathing life into great books - Publishing books by bestselling and awardwinning authors - ebook and print production services
And please check out our sponsors!—