New entry Jul 15
Critters is 20!
Yes, 20 years ago Critters was born. Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
I'm being interviewed live on public radio for Critters 20th birthday. For those who want to listen, it's on the 10am (Mountain time) show on Thursday, 11/19, on Colorado Public Radio - www.cpr.org has streaming on the site or it's 90.1 FM in the Denver area.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
New Book from a Critter Member**NOW IN PRINT EDITION TOO!** Awesome new book, HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPECULATIVE FICTION OPENINGS, from a Critter member whose unearthed a shard of The Secret to becoming a pro writer. Really good piece of work. "...if you're at all concerned about story openings, you'd be nuts not to read what Qualkinbush has to say." —Wil McCarthy, author of BLOOM and THE COLLAPSIUM
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
Network speeding up
I'm switching the connection over to a new, shiny 10X faster network because of all the load. There might be bits of downtime as your boxes learn new addresses and things. Should be brief. Let me know of any prolonged outages you see.
Preditors & Editors Changeover
With the very sad passing of Dave Kuzminski, who ran P&E, I've taken over the P&E duties. Lots of what I hope are improvements; check it out at pred-ed.com.
is Dying has been Replaced
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you need help making ebooks from manuscripts or print copies—or finding great stuff to read—look no further! An ebook publisher started by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Preditors & Editors Poll results
Critique.org now has Workshops for Everything — all genres, music, video, photography, art, apps.....
Convert your work to ebooks! Read great ebooks! The votemaster runs ReAnimus Press
See also the Best-Ever Voters Poll for the best works ever written (not just in the last year)
Short Stories pages: Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Steampunk | All other | Anthologies page | Poems page | Nonfiction articles page |
Other Categories: Artwork page | Book/e-book Cover Artwork page | Magazine/e-zine Cover Artwork page | Authors page | Poets page | Artists page | Book/e-book Editors page | Magazine/e-zine Editors page | Print/Electronic Book Publishers page | Review site | Bookstore | Promotional Firms, Sites, and Resources page | Fiction 'zines page | Poetry 'zines page | Nonfiction 'zines page | Writers' Discussion Forum page | Writers' Workshop page | Writers' Resource/Information/News Source page |
Admin: Current standings | Best EVER Poll | Report an Error | VOTE! ]
Standings for Horror Short Stories
1. Baby's Breath, Sydney Leigh, Great Old Ones, [link][comments]
2. 'The Corridor', Robert Scott, Hello Horror, [link][comments]
3. Red Handed, Tina Wayland, Every Day Fiction, [link][comments]
4. Chooser of the Unslain, Cynthia Booth and Roy C. Booth, Harren Press, [link][comments]
5. Bound by Blood, Margo Bond Collins, Bathory Gate Press, [link]
6. Sasha Brook, Shebat Legion, Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Press, [link][comments]
7. The Infected, Taylor Grant, Cemetery Dance [comments]
7. 10:30, Mark Tompkins, Undead Literature, [link][comments]
8. Taking the Piss, Jasper Bark, Crystal Lake Publishing, [link]
9. The Screamin' Siren, Roy C. Booth and Axel Kohagen, Chupa Cabra House, [link][comments]
10. Little Beauty, Matthew (Alan) Hughes, Angelic Knight Press, [link]
11. Out of Darkness Comes Life, Michael Fisher, J. Ellington Ashton, [link]
11. Killers and Demons II: They Return, A. F. Stewart, Amazon Digital Services, [link]
11. Zero, Matthew Fryer, Plasma Frequency, [link]
12. The Vessel, Sam Stone, The Dark Rites of Cthulhu, April Moon, [link][comments]
12. Pubienne Teur de Chevau, Essel Pratt, J. Ellington Ashton Press, [link]
13. Where It All Started, K. Trap Jones, Burial Day Books, [link]
13. 6 Ways Dead, TL Decay, J. Ellington Ashton Press, [link]
13. Blood for Oil, Shad Kelly, Create Space, [link]
13. Metamorphosis, Not Metaphors, B.E. Scully, Great Old Ones Publishing, [link]
13. The Occurrence of the Faux Count, Teel James Glenn, Pro Se Productions, [link]
14. All That Remains, Amanda M. Lyons, J. Ellington Ashton Press, [link]
14. Jane the Hippie Vampire: Hair, Leigh M. Lane, Cerebral Bookd, [link]
14. Clarice, Martin Chandler, Every Day Fiction, [link]
14. Theodore, William Holden, Amazing Digital, [link]
14. A New Social Order, Eli Wilde, Horrified Press, [link][comments]
14. Four and Twenty, Stephen D. Rogers, Once Upon an Apocalypes (Chaosium), [link]
14. Love Like Blood, Amanda M. Lyons, J. Ellington Ashton Press, [link]
14. My Porcelain Monster, Eric Dean, Charon Coin Press, [link]
14. The End, Gary McMahon, Newcon Press, [link]
14. black bible of JUAREZ , Steven Shrewsbury , seventh Star Press, [link]
15. And She Will Rise Again, Eric J. Guignard, Firbolg Publishing, [link]
15. The Only Game in Town, Desmond Warzel, The Drabblecast, [link]
15. The Useless Shovel, Douglas Campbell, Every Day Fiction, [link]
15. The Darkness in Clara, Alan Baxter, SQ Mag, [link]
15. Baby Breath, Sidney Leigh, Great Old Ones
15. Angel Manor, Chantal Noordeloos , Horrific Tales Publishing, [link][comments]
15. Rod's Little Blue Wagon, Andrea Allison, Flashes in the Dark, [link]
15. Hunting Monsters Is My Business, John M. Whalen, Flying W Press, [link]
15. The Darkness Internal, Voluted Tales, Mark Turner, [link][comments]
Looking for something to do?
▶ Read great ebooks or convert your work to ebooks! The votemaster runs ReAnimus Press - Breathing life into great books - Publishing books by bestselling and awardwinning authors - ebook and print production services
And please check out our sponsors!—
Your Votemaster (Dr. Andrew Burt)P&E poll volunteer votemaster, founder of the world's first Internet service provider, a guy who writes stuff you might enjoy,