New entry Nov 01
Critters is 21!
Yes, 21 years ago Critters was born. Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
Space Travel for SF Writers
Hot off the presses from ReAnimus Press! Space Travel - A Science Fiction Writer's Guide— An indispensible tool for all SF writers that explains the science you need to help you make your fiction plausible. (Also via Amazon)
The Sigil TrilogyIf you're looking for an amazing, WOW! science fiction story, check out THE SIGIL TRILOGY. This is — literally — one of the best science fiction novels I've ever read.
P&E Seeks New Caretaker
Unfortunately, much of the data on the P&E site has become stale and outdated, and needs a new caretaker with the time required to update the site. The listings are being removed until they can be updated by a new caretaker.
Note that the P&E/Critters Annual Readers Poll will run as usual in January.
If you are interested in taking the reins of P&E, and possess what's needed — at least 20hrs/week to volunteer, excellent investigative skills, in-depth knowledge of the publishing industry, ability to detect scams from not-scams, thick skin, good web site skills, good writing ability — please get in touch. Thanks for your interest!
I'm being interviewed live on public radio for Critters 20th birthday. For those who want to listen, it's on the 10am (Mountain time) show on Thursday, 11/19/16, on Colorado Public Radio - www.cpr.org has streaming on the site or it's 90.1 FM in the Denver area. [Interview is done, you can listen on the site]
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
Network speeding up
I'm switching the connection over to a new, shiny 10X faster network because of all the load. There might be bits of downtime as your boxes learn new addresses and things. Should be brief. Let me know of any prolonged outages you see.
Preditors & Editors Changeover
With the very sad passing of Dave Kuzminski, who ran P&E, I've taken over the P&E duties. Lots of what I hope are improvements; check it out at pred-ed.com.
is Dying has been Replaced
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you need help making ebooks from manuscripts or print copies—or finding great stuff to read—look no further! An ebook publisher started by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Preditors & Editors Poll results
Critique.org now has Workshops for Everything — all genres, music, video, photography, art, apps.....
See also the Best-Ever Voters Poll for the best works ever written (not just in the last year)
Mystery | Thriller | Children's | Young Adult | All other |
Short Stories pages - Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | All other |
Anthologies page | Poems page | Nonfiction articles page |
Artwork page | Book/e-book Cover Artwork page | Magazine/e-zine Cover Artwork page |
Authors page | Poets page | Artists page |
Book/e-book Editors page | Magazine/e-zine Editors page |
Print/Electronic Book Publishers page |
Review site | Bookstore | Promotional Firms, Sites, and Resources page |
Fiction 'zines page | Poetry 'zines page | Nonfiction 'zines page |
Writers' Discussion Forum page | Writers' Workshop page |
Writers' Resource/Information/News Source page |
Current standings | Best EVER Poll | Report an Error |
Standings for Horror Short Stories
1. Pulsate, Jim Bronyaur, Flashes in the Dark, [link][comments]
2. Chamber Music, Peter A. Balaskas, Uncial Press, [link][comments]
3. Frost on the Pane, James Cheetham, SNM Horror Magazine, [link][comments]
4. The Medicine Tree, Robert C. Eccles, Flashes in the Dark, [link]
5. Rusty Cage, Kevin McClintock, SNM Horror Magazine, [link][comments]
6. Always and Forever, Jay Faulkner, Absolute XPress, [link]
6. World of Ash, Kevin Hopson, MuseItUp Publishing, [link]
7. Gran'ma's in The Bathroom (...and she's not coming out), Ken Goldman, Best New Zombie Tales II, [link][comments]
8. What Doesn't Kill You, Anthony Cowin, Spook City, [link][comments]
8. The 13th Step, Thom Olausson, House of Horror, [link]
9. Ending Summer Nights, Kevin James Breaux, Lucrezia Magazine, [link][comments]
10. High Plains Lazarus, K. A. Laity, Rotting Tales: Pill Hill Press, [link][comments]
11. The Painted Path, Richard Baron, Dark Gothic Resurrected Magazine, [link][comments]
12. Happiness Comes in Small Packages, Brian Barnett, Toe Tags II: Blood and Bizarro, [link]
13. Thump, Paul D Brazill, Thrillers Killers n Chillers, [link][comments]
13. Nevermore, David Dunwoody, Belfire Press, [link][comments]
14. Horrors of Parochial School, Ash Krafton, Big Pulp, [link][comments]
14. The Assistant from Innsmouth, Steven James Scearce, Dagan Books, [link][comments]
15. To Kiss and Kill, Zed Holt, Horrotica Magazine, [link]
15. Fire Wall, Kat Heckenbach, Absent Willow Review, [link]
15. At the Zombie Roadhouse, Kenneth James Crist, Yellow Mama, [link]
16. Loser Freak, E.J. Tett, Short-Story.Me, [link]
16. Vengeance of the Alpe, Richard H. Fay, Hungur
16. Haunt Box, Jason Rolfe, Horror Bound, [link][comments]
17. No One is Coming, Indy McDaniel, SNM Horror Magazine, [link]
17. Ghosts Under Glass, Tracie McBride, Horror Library Vol. 4, [link]
17. Skin Care, Shells Walter, Static Movement Caught by Darkness Anthology, [link]
17. Old Order, Jonathan Janz, Untreed Reads, [link]
17. Infestation, Kay Jakabs, SNM Magazine, [link]
17. Spindled Souls, Jodi MacArthur, Flashes in the Dark, [link][comments]
17. Flash Frame, Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Dagan Books, Cthulhurotica, [link]
18. Daddy's Little Secret, Charles Day Aka, Charlie in the Box, Pill Hill Press, [link]
18. The Product, Bruce Memblatt, The Horror ZIne, [link]
18. By the Banks of the Nabarra, Daniel I. Russell, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, [link]
18. Downside of Undying Love, Ash Krafton, Jersey Devil Press, [link]
18. Fresh Snow, Jessica George, Every Day Fiction, [link][comments]
19. Legends Unleashed Series, Heather Beck, Diamond Dust Books, [link]
19. Pillow Talk, Jodi MacArthur, BEAT to a PULP, [link]
19. Dead Flames, Angel Zapata, Flashes in the Dark, [link]
19. Patient #37, Tommy B. Smith, Darker, [link]
19. The Fishwives of Sean Brolly, Nathan Crowder, Dagan Books, Cthulhurotica, [link]
19. Red Leather Jeans, Karen L. Newman, Sex and Murder Magazine, [link]
19. The Fledgling, Sean Monaghan, The New Flesh, [link][comments]
19. Levels of Intimacy, Lori Titus, Flashes in the Dark, [link]
19. For Her Eyes, Quinn Smythwood, QueeredFiction, [link]
19. The Last Concert, Brandon Layng, Tales of the Zombie War, [link]
19. A Dream of You, Jason Rolfe, Absent Willow Review, [link][comments]
20. Last Cigarette, Armand Rosamilia, Rigor Amortis anthology, [link]
20. Tenants, Part 1, Kevin McClintock, Dark Moon Digest, [link]
20. Four Little Birds, Lori Titus, #12Days2010, [link]
20. The Quick ... and The Dead, Bill Crider, BEAT to a PULP, [link]
20. BLZ, K.G. McAbee, Untreed Reads, [link]
20. A Hot Time in the Old Town, Desmond Warzel, Short-Story.Me!, [link]
20. Lest We Forget, Tracie McBride, Dark Continents Publishing, [link]
20. Darkness Within, Ash Krafton, House of Horror, [link]
20. Reflection, Lori Titus, The New Flesh, [link]
20. Dictation, Stephen D. Rogers, Spinetingler, [link]
20. The Thing About Hate in 'Tales of a Woman Scorned', Flo Stanton, House of Horror, [link][comments]
20. Sinking, Shells Walter, Static Movement Oh the Horror Anthology, [link]
20. An Ember Amongst the Fallen, Colleen Anderson, Edge Publications, [link]
20. Someone to Watch Over Me, Matthew P. Mayo, BEAT to a PULP, [link]
20. Old Pendejo, R. Narvaez, Tales of the Zombie War, [link][comments]
20. Sinfully Delicious, Wilfred Bereswill, Echelon Press Publishing, [link]
Looking for something to do?
And please check out our sponsors!—
Dr. Andrew BurtP&E poll volunteer votemaster, founder of the world's first Internet service provider, a guy who writes stuff you might enjoy,