New entry Nov 01
Critters is 21!
Yes, 21 years ago Critters was born. Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
The Sigil TrilogyIf you're looking for an amazing, WOW! science fiction story, check out THE SIGIL TRILOGY. This is — literally — one of the best science fiction novels I've ever read.
P&E Seeks New Caretaker
Unfortunately, much of the data on the P&E site has become stale and outdated, and needs a new caretaker with the time required to update the site. The listings are being removed until they can be updated by a new caretaker.
Note that the P&E/Critters Annual Readers Poll will run as usual in January.
If you are interested in taking the reins of P&E, and possess what's needed — at least 20hrs/week to volunteer, excellent investigative skills, in-depth knowledge of the publishing industry, ability to detect scams from not-scams, thick skin, good web site skills, good writing ability — please get in touch. Thanks for your interest!
I'm being interviewed live on public radio for Critters 20th birthday. For those who want to listen, it's on the 10am (Mountain time) show on Thursday, 11/19/16, on Colorado Public Radio - www.cpr.org has streaming on the site or it's 90.1 FM in the Denver area. [Interview is done, you can listen on the site]
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
Network speeding up
I'm switching the connection over to a new, shiny 10X faster network because of all the load. There might be bits of downtime as your boxes learn new addresses and things. Should be brief. Let me know of any prolonged outages you see.
Preditors & Editors Changeover
With the very sad passing of Dave Kuzminski, who ran P&E, I've taken over the P&E duties. Lots of what I hope are improvements; check it out at pred-ed.com.
is Dying has been Replaced
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you need help making ebooks from manuscripts or print copies—or finding great stuff to read—look no further! An ebook publisher started by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Preditors & Editors Poll results
Critique.org now has Workshops for Everything — all genres, music, video, photography, art, apps.....
See also the Best-Ever Voters Poll for the best works ever written (not just in the last year)
Mystery | Thriller | Children's | Young Adult | All other |
Short Stories pages - Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | All other |
Anthologies page | Poems page | Nonfiction articles page |
Artwork page | Book/e-book Cover Artwork page | Magazine/e-zine Cover Artwork page |
Authors page | Poets page | Artists page |
Book/e-book Editors page | Magazine/e-zine Editors page |
Print/Electronic Book Publishers page |
Review site | Bookstore | Promotional Firms, Sites, and Resources page |
Fiction 'zines page | Poetry 'zines page | Nonfiction 'zines page |
Writers' Discussion Forum page | Writers' Workshop page |
Writers' Resource/Information/News Source page |
Current standings | Best EVER Poll | Report an Error |
Standings for Fiction Magazine/e-zines
1. The Horror Zine, [link][comments]
2. Flashes in the Dark, [link][comments]
3. SNM Horror Magazine, [link][comments]
4. Thrillers, Killers 'n' Chillers, [link][comments]
5. Dark Gothic Resurrected Magazine, [link]
6. The New Flesh, [link]
7. Pulp Metal Magazine, [link][comments]
7. House of Horror, [link][comments]
8. www.weaponizer, [link][comments]
9. Apollo's Lyre, [link]
9. The Dark Fiction Spotlight, [link][comments]
9. Yellow Mama, [link]
10. Residential Aliens, [link]
11. Digital Dragon Magazine, [link]
12. Static Movement, [link][comments]
12. Horrotica, [link]
13. The World of Myth Magazine, [link]
13. Every Day Fiction, [link][comments]
13. Space and Time, [link]
13. A Twist Of Noir, [link]
14. With Painted Words, [link]
14. Innsmouth Free Press, [link]
14. Necrotic Tissue, [link][comments]
14. Science Fiction Trails, [link]
14. STLGzine, [link]
15. The Future Fire, [link]
15. The New Bedlam Project, [link]
16. Black Gate Magazine, [link]
16. Port Iris Magazine, [link]
16. Clarkesworld Magazine, [link]
16. Sorcerous Signals, [link]
16. Allegory Magazine, [link]
16. Microhorror, [link]
16. Beat to a Pulp, [link][comments]
16. Lorelei Signal, [link]
16. Redstone Science Fiction, [link]
16. Morpheus Tales, [link]
16. All Due Respect, [link]
17. Free Fiction Friday, [link]
17. Three-lobed Burning Eye, [link]
17. Electric Spec, [link]
17. Spinetingler, [link]
17. The Martian Wave, [link]
17. Tatomir, [link]
17. Bull Spec, [link]
17. Fantastique Unfettered, [link][comments]
17. Horror Bound Magazine, www.horrorbound.com
17. Bards & Sages Quarterly, [link]
17. Dakest Before The Dawn, [link]
17. The Absent Willow Review, [link]
17. Toasted Cheese Literary Journal, [link]
17. Aphelion Webzine, [link]
17. Mysterical-e, http:www.mystericale.com
Looking for something to do?
And please check out our sponsors!—
Dr. Andrew BurtP&E poll volunteer votemaster, founder of the world's first Internet service provider, a guy who writes stuff you might enjoy,