New entry Nov 01
Critters is 21!
Yes, 21 years ago Critters was born. Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
Space Travel for SF Writers
Hot off the presses from ReAnimus Press! Space Travel - A Science Fiction Writer's Guide— An indispensible tool for all SF writers that explains the science you need to help you make your fiction plausible. (Also via Amazon)
New Book from a Critter Member**NOW IN PRINT EDITION TOO!** Awesome new book, HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPECULATIVE FICTION OPENINGS, from a Critter member whose unearthed a shard of The Secret to becoming a pro writer. Really good piece of work. "...if you're at all concerned about story openings, you'd be nuts not to read what Qualkinbush has to say." —Wil McCarthy, author of BLOOM and THE COLLAPSIUM
P&E Seeks New Caretaker
Unfortunately, much of the data on the P&E site has become stale and outdated, and needs a new caretaker with the time required to update the site. The listings are being removed until they can be updated by a new caretaker.
Note that the P&E/Critters Annual Readers Poll will run as usual in January.
If you are interested in taking the reins of P&E, and possess what's needed — at least 20hrs/week to volunteer, excellent investigative skills, in-depth knowledge of the publishing industry, ability to detect scams from not-scams, thick skin, good web site skills, good writing ability — please get in touch. Thanks for your interest!
I'm being interviewed live on public radio for Critters 20th birthday. For those who want to listen, it's on the 10am (Mountain time) show on Thursday, 11/19/16, on Colorado Public Radio - www.cpr.org has streaming on the site or it's 90.1 FM in the Denver area. [Interview is done, you can listen on the site]
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
Network speeding up
I'm switching the connection over to a new, shiny 10X faster network because of all the load. There might be bits of downtime as your boxes learn new addresses and things. Should be brief. Let me know of any prolonged outages you see.
Preditors & Editors Changeover
With the very sad passing of Dave Kuzminski, who ran P&E, I've taken over the P&E duties. Lots of what I hope are improvements; check it out at pred-ed.com.
is Dying has been Replaced
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you need help making ebooks from manuscripts or print copies—or finding great stuff to read—look no further! An ebook publisher started by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Preditors & Editors,in association with
The Annual Preditors & Editors / Critters Readers Poll
As part of our overall effort to assist and promote writers, we are proud to conduct the annual Preditors & Editors Readers Poll. The poll has been running since 1997. We hope that this small effort helps all publishers and writers on the Internet to thrive in what is still viewed as a highly experimental and strongly competitive environment.
There are dozens of categories (36 at this writing) covering all genres of writing and publishing:
- Print/Electronic Novels: Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Steampunk | Erotica | Mystery | Thriller | Children's | Young Adult | All other
- Short Stories: Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Steampunk | All other | Anthologies | Poems | Nonfiction articles
- Other Categories: Artwork | Book/e-book Cover Artwork | Magazine/e-zine Cover Artwork | Authors | Poets | Artists | Book/e-book Editors | Magazine/e-zine Editors | Print/Electronic Book Publishers | Review site | Bookstore | Promotional Firms, Sites, and Resources | Fiction 'zines | Poetry 'zines | Nonfiction 'zines | Writers' Discussion Forum | Writers' Workshop | Writers' Resource/Information/News Source
- Anyone can vote. Voting commences 24 December. The voting form and weekly results are farther down on this page. Please remember that you can nominate a new entry in any category simply by voting for them in the write-in box.
- Anything that fits one of this year's categories that was published in the previous year by any publisher or self-publisher is eligible for nomination. Publishing within a forum or chat room does not constitute publishing for purposes of this contest.
- You may add and promote your own entries as well as those of others.
- One vote per person per category. (If you vote more than once in a category, your last vote is the one counted.) Multiple votes from the same person trying to look like multiple people will be voided.
- A category may have no winners declared if fraudulent votes prevent determining accurate counts.
- Names and email addresses will not be given to anyone for use in a mailing list. We use those for counting purposes to keep the contest honest.
- Sponsors provide prizes, to be awarded to a random drawing among voters. All prizes may not be awarded if email bounces trying to reach a randomly chosen winner.
- All nominations/votes are subject to verification.
- The Readers Poll ends 11:59:59PM of 14 January (UTC). Readers Poll Awards will be announced in February. Should technical difficulties occur, the poll may be extended.
- Sponsors may provide free products/services to randomly selected voters.
- The entry with the most votes in each category will receive a beautiful customized GIF award similar to the one below.
You'll be whisked to our fully automated voting form.
Vote in one or all categories.
Attention Authors and Publishers
Want to establish a link so your readers can find us easier and vote?
Why not click here and take one of our Link Back Emblems?
Will there be a subsequent Readers Poll?
Beginning 24 Dec, the Readers Poll will begin. It will conclude at 11:59:59PM UTC on each January 14th. The same simple rules will be in effect.
As well, we'd like to hear from our visitors as to what other categories should be included. Just send us a message with your opinion.
See for yourself just how good the writing is.
Award GIF was created from images provided by and is reproduced with permission from AURA/STScI.