New entry Nov 01
Critters is 21!
Yes, 21 years ago Critters was born. Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
Space Travel for SF Writers
Hot off the presses from ReAnimus Press! Space Travel - A Science Fiction Writer's Guide— An indispensible tool for all SF writers that explains the science you need to help you make your fiction plausible. (Also via Amazon)
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
P&E Seeks New Caretaker
Unfortunately, much of the data on the P&E site has become stale and outdated, and needs a new caretaker with the time required to update the site. The listings are being removed until they can be updated by a new caretaker.
Note that the P&E/Critters Annual Readers Poll will run as usual in January.
If you are interested in taking the reins of P&E, and possess what's needed — at least 20hrs/week to volunteer, excellent investigative skills, in-depth knowledge of the publishing industry, ability to detect scams from not-scams, thick skin, good web site skills, good writing ability — please get in touch. Thanks for your interest!
I'm being interviewed live on public radio for Critters 20th birthday. For those who want to listen, it's on the 10am (Mountain time) show on Thursday, 11/19/16, on Colorado Public Radio - www.cpr.org has streaming on the site or it's 90.1 FM in the Denver area. [Interview is done, you can listen on the site]
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
Network speeding up
I'm switching the connection over to a new, shiny 10X faster network because of all the load. There might be bits of downtime as your boxes learn new addresses and things. Should be brief. Let me know of any prolonged outages you see.
Preditors & Editors Changeover
With the very sad passing of Dave Kuzminski, who ran P&E, I've taken over the P&E duties. Lots of what I hope are improvements; check it out at pred-ed.com.
is Dying has been Replaced
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you need help making ebooks from manuscripts or print copies—or finding great stuff to read—look no further! An ebook publisher started by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Preditors & Editors Poll results
Critique.org now has Workshops for Everything — all genres, music, video, photography, art, apps.....
Convert your work to ebooks! Read great ebooks! The votemaster runs ReAnimus Press
See also the Best-Ever Voters Poll for the best works ever written (not just in the last year)
Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Erotica |
Mystery | Thriller | Children's | Young Adult | All other |
Short Stories pages:
Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | All other |
Anthologies page | Poems page | Nonfiction articles page |
Artwork page | Book/e-book Cover Artwork page |
Magazine/e-zine Cover Artwork page |
Authors page | Poets page | Artists page |
Book/e-book Editors page | Magazine/e-zine Editors page |
Print/Electronic Book Publishers page |
Review site | Bookstore | Promotional Firms, Sites, and Resources page |
Fiction 'zines page | Poetry 'zines page | Nonfiction 'zines page |
Writers' Discussion Forum page | Writers' Workshop page |
Writers' Resource/Information/News Source page |
Current standings | Best EVER Poll | Report an Error |
Standings for Thriller Novels
1. The Bitch, Les Edgerton, Bare Knuckles Press, [link], Inc. [comments]
2. Rasner's Revenge: The Rasner Effect III, Mark Rosendorf, L&L Dreamspell, [link][comments]
3. The Geneva Connection, Martin Bodenham, Musa Publishing, [link][comments]
4. All the young Warriors, Anthony Neil Smith, Blasted Heath, [link][comments]
5. The Lonely Mile, Allan Leverone, StoneHouse Ink, [link][comments]
6. Becoming NADIA, Cyrus Keith, Muse It Up, [link][comments]
7. Dear Killer, Linda Lovely, L&L Dreamspell, [link][comments]
8. Blood Bay, Toni V. Sweeney, Class Act Books, [link]
9. 3:16, Jeffrey Martin, Cold Moon Press, [link]
10. Irreparable Harm, Melissa F. Miller, Brown Street Books, [link][comments]
11. Postmarked for Death, Jonathan Lowe, Gypsh Shadow Publishing, [link][comments]
12. Huntress, Karina Kantas, MMP, [link]
13. Beyond Yesterday, L.J. Holmes, Muse It Up, [link][comments]
14. Dead Witness, Joylene Nowell Butler , MuseItUp Publishing, [link]
15. To Kill My Love, Lee Baldwin, Publishing by Rebecca J. Vickery, [link]
16. Age of the Damned, B. A. Sans, Dare Empire eMedia, [link]
16. Cruelty To Innocents, CK Webb & DJ Weaver, Suspense Publishing, [link]
16. The Benders, Molly Colton, Dark Roast Press, [link][comments]
16. Better Off Without Her, Rita Hestand, Secret Cravings Publishing, [link][comments]
16. The Good, The Bad and The Murderous, Chester D. Campbell, Night Shadows Press, [link][comments]
17. Druids Dawning Vol. 1, Lark LaTroy, Silver Publishing, [link][comments]
17. Black Flowers, Steve Mosby, Orion, [link]
17. Walking The Edge (Corpus Brides: Book One), Zee Monodee, Noble Romance Publishing, [link]
17. In The Bleak Midwinter, Sellars, M. R., E.M.A. Mysteries, [link]
17. Luck of the Draw, Anthony J. Cardieri, St. Martin's Press, [link]
17. Monster Hunter Alpha, Larry Correia, Baen, [link]
17. Heart of the Gods, Valerie Douglas, Amazon.com, [link]
17. Cry of Eagles, Stefan Vucak, Solstice Publishing, [link][comments]
18. Flooding Granite, Tom Mahoney, Casperian Books, [link]
18. Deadly Nightshade, Chris Newman, Dark Roast Press, [link][comments]
18. Redemption, Sheila Dunn, Solstice Publishing, [link]
18. Cold Comfort, Ellis Vidler, Echelon Press, [link]
18. The Traveling Vampire and Twilight in the Catacombs, Joe Vadalma, Renassance E-Books, [link]
18. Lazarus, Michael LaRocca, Mocha Memoirs Press, [link]
18. Masked Jihad, Dave Bullock, Damnation Books, [link]
18. Incursion, Aaron Rosenberg, Crossroad Press, [link]
18. V Trooper - First Mission, Thomas Drinkard, Amazon.com, [link]
Looking for something to do?
And please check out our sponsors!—
Dr. Andrew BurtP&E poll volunteer votemaster, founder of the world's first Internet service provider, a guy who writes stuff you might enjoy,