New entry May 06
Critters is 25!
This November, Critters is 25 years old! Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
New Book from a Critter Member**NOW IN PRINT EDITION TOO!** Awesome new book, HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPECULATIVE FICTION OPENINGS, from a Critter member whose unearthed a shard of The Secret to becoming a pro writer. Really good piece of work. "...if you're at all concerned about story openings, you'd be nuts not to read what Qualkinbush has to say." —Wil McCarthy, author of BLOOM and THE COLLAPSIUM
The Sigil TrilogyIf you're looking for an amazing, WOW! science fiction story, check out THE SIGIL TRILOGY. This is — literally — one of the best science fiction novels I've ever read.
I was interviewed live on public radio for Critters' birthday, for those who want to listen.
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you're looking for great stuff to read from bestselling and award-winning authors—look no further! ReAnimus Press was founded by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Preditors & Editors Poll results
Critique.org now has Workshops for Everything — all genres, music, video, photography, art, apps.....
Also Enter and Vote the Best Idea Contest — $$ Cash prizes
See also the Best-Ever Voters Poll for the best works ever written (not just in the last year)
Brought to you by
The NewNewForum.com - read about the newest projects and announce yours here
Wishes for the Future - What would you want to see in the future? Self-driving cars? Shooting a movie in your head? Read and add yours...
Mystery | Thriller | Children's | Young Adult | All other |
Short Stories pages - Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | All other |
Anthologies page | Poems page | Nonfiction articles page |
Artwork page | Book/e-book Cover Artwork page | Magazine/e-zine Cover Artwork page |
Authors page | Poets page | Artists page |
Book/e-book Editors page | Magazine/e-zine Editors page |
Print/Electronic Book Publishers page |
Review site | Bookstore |
Fiction 'zines page | Poetry 'zines page | Nonfiction 'zines page |
Writers' Discussion Forum page | Writers' Workshop page |
Writers' Resource/Information/News Source page |
Current standings |
Standings for category: shortstory
1. Dude Looks Llike a Lady, Jack Greene, Phaze, [link]
2. Fly, Rissa Watkins, Twin Trinity Media, [link]
3. The Right to Remain Silent, Debbi Mack, The Back Alley, [link]
4. Kissy Face, Cindy Rosmus, Beat to a Pulp, [link]
5. A Song for Andre, David J. Rank, Apollo's Lyre, [link]
6. My Lord Baltimore, MC Scout, Whiskey Creek Press Torrid, [link]
7. To Delight in Mahler, Jay Faulkner, Long Story Short, [link]
7. Pieces of a Rainbow, Maria Savva, Rose And Freedom Books, [link]
8. Scrooge Screwed, Jon Dalton, Captiva Press, Placida Publishing, [link]
9. Jasper, Lucinda Gunnin, Twin Trinity Media, [link]
10. Liberation via Pen, Cate Masters, Wild Child Publishing, [link]
11. Bells, Vonnie Winslow Crist, Echelon Press, [link]
11. Third Rail, Giselle Renarde, lyd Alterotica, [link]
11. Christmas Magic, Adelle Laudan, Red Rose Publishing, [link]
11. Aiyana's Affair With Mother Nature, TreSart L. Sioux, Logical-Lust, [link]
12. Brotherly Love, J.E. Seymour, Beat to a Pulp, [link]
12. The Sour Aftertaste of Olive Lemon, Catherine Gardner, Bucket O Guts, [link]
12. Seven and Four, Lucien E. G. Spelman, The Boston Literary Magazine, [link]
13. At the Fork in the Road, Mark Chorna, Apollo's Lyre, [link]
13. Crucified, Adelle Laudan, The WIld Rose Press, [link]
14. Tell Me a Lie, Ronna Gage, Freya's Bower, [link]
14. In Sleeping Beauty's Bed: Erotic Fairy Tales, Mitzi Szereto, Cleis Press, [link]
14. Pink: Dolorosa, Syd McGinley, Torquere
14. Holiday Hell House, Christle Gray, Sapphire Blue Publishing, [link]
14. Mated to a Wolf, Marisa Chenery, Liquid Silver Books, [link]
14. Candy Kisses, Kissa Starling, Renaissance Publishing, [link]
14. A Man in a Kilt, Helen E. H. Madden, Logical-Lust, [link]
14. The London Eye, Gay Degani, Every Day Fiction, [link]
14. The Snow Queen, Erastes, MLR Press, [link]
15. Boiling Point, Alessia Brio, Purple Prosaic, [link]
15. Sighted Brother, Deborah J Ledford, Gulf Coast Writers Association, [link]
16. Christmas In Mexico, Jennifer Shumate, Word Riot, [link]
16. Sublimity in Turquiose Blue, Rae Bryant, Farrago's Wainscot, [link]
16. Sunset on Ramree, Robert Appleton, Eternal Press, [link]
16. Collecting Dreams, Heather S. Ingemar, Drollerie Press, [link]
16. A Pint Light, Devon Rhodes, Total E Bound, [link]
16. The Red Jacket, Rita Hestand, Smashwords, [link]
16. With Love, Casanova, Jesse Fox, Dark Roast Press, [link]
16. Her Last, Valerie J. Patterson, Eternal Press, [link]
17. The Portrait, Judith B. Glad, Uncial Press, [link]
17. Elvis and the Ajax Lady, Jennifer Shumate, Pindeldyboz, [link]
17. Water's Edge, Sarah Hilary, Every Day Fiction, [link]
17. Sister Golden Hair Surprise and the Cruiser, Linda Palmer, Wild Horse Press, [link]
17. Noella's Gift , Donica Covey, Champagne Books , [link]
17. Angels in the Landfill, Carlynn, iUniverse, [link]
17. The Good Boy, Jay Faulkner, Apollo's Lyre, [link]
17. Crocodile Elvis, Quentin R. Bufogle, The Las Vegas Weekly , [link]
17. St. Fools Day, Billy Burgess, Stories for Children Magazine, [link]
17. Porcelain, Jess C Scott, Word Riot, [link]
17. Discharged, Stephen D. Rogers, Thrilling Detective, [link]
17. Syzygy, Billy O'Callaghan, Cezanne's Carrot, [link]
17. Suddenly Speaking, Ray Vukcevich, Flash Fiction Online, [link]
17. Bunduki's Lament, Kerry-lyn Witherspoon, InkSpotter Publishing - The Communal Desk, [link]
17. Scavenger, Ajay Vishwanathan, Bartleby Snopes, [link]
17. The Beautiful Move In Curves, Elizabeth Black, Xcite Books, [link]
17. Special Gifts, Lois Carroll, Echelon Press LLC, [link]
17. Neighbors, Elizabeth Black, Torquere Press, [link]
Looking for something to do?
And please check out our sponsors!—