New entry May 06
Critters is 25!
This November, Critters is 25 years old! Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
New Book from a Critter Member**NOW IN PRINT EDITION TOO!** Awesome new book, HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPECULATIVE FICTION OPENINGS, from a Critter member whose unearthed a shard of The Secret to becoming a pro writer. Really good piece of work. "...if you're at all concerned about story openings, you'd be nuts not to read what Qualkinbush has to say." —Wil McCarthy, author of BLOOM and THE COLLAPSIUM
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
I was interviewed live on public radio for Critters' birthday, for those who want to listen.
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you're looking for great stuff to read from bestselling and award-winning authors—look no further! ReAnimus Press was founded by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Preditors & Editors Poll results
2006 Official Results
Standings for category: Nonfiction articles
1. Hints for Writers, Jennifer Stewart, Write101, http://www.write101.com/hints.htm
3. Selling a Cool Book ABOUT THE HOUSE THAT JOY BUILT, Joy V. Smith, The Electronic Write Stuff (Oct.), http://www.northfloridawriters.org/
4. Creative Writing: 301, R. Michael Burns, Apollo's Lyre, http://www.apollos-lyre.com
5. Lure of the Zombie, Shannon Riley, Surreal Magazine, http://www.surrealmag.com
6. Poetry.com - What's It All About, Michelle L Devon, Associated Content, http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/64855/poetrycom_whats_it_all_about.html
6. Tips for Writers: How Did Twisted Tails Become a Best-seller within Days of Publication?, Marilyn Peake, Free eBook: A Twisted Tale about Twisted Tails, http://www.biffmitchell.com
7. 'Chakram and Pigtails: The Heroine's Journey in Modern Media.', Valerie Estelle Frankel, WorldCon Presentation, http://www.harrypotterparody.com/chakram.doc
7. Working It Out - The Domestic Double Standard, Judith K. Ivie, Whiskey Creek Press, http://www.whiskeycreekpress.com
8. The Motivation Factor, Cheryl Wright, Writer2Writer, http://www.writer2writer.com/motivation.htm
8. Fright of the Living Dead, David L Tamarin, Girls and Corpses, http://www.girlsandcorpses.com
8. For the Dead Move Fast, Edward Cox, Hungur Magazine, http://www.samsdotpublishing.com
9. Fitting In, Lauran Strait, Salome, http://www.salomemagazine.com/chamber.php?id=181
9. Book Promotion Articles, Nikki Leigh, Inspired Author, http://www.nikkileigh.com/book_marketing_articles.htm
10. Corpse-phobia, David L Tamarin, Girls and Corpses issue 13, http://www.girlsandcorpses.com
10. WYSIWYG: Walking the Professional Runway, Karen L. Syed, Karen L. Syed, http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976879934
11. Using Message Boards Effectively, Karen L. Newman, InkSpotter News, http://inkspotter.com/products/newsletters/inkspotternews/index.htm
11. Creative Writing:301, R. Michael Burns, Apollo's Lyre, http://www.apollos-lyre.com
12. 'Jumpstart Your Creativity', G. W. Thomas, The Writer, http://www.thewriter.com
12. Why We Should Care About Michael Moorcock's Wizardry and Wild Romance, SC Bryce, Aoife's Kiss, http://samsdotpublishing.com/aoife/BryceMoorcock.htm
12. Let Your Characters Speak for Themselves, Kristy Taylor, How To Tell A Great Story, http://howtotellagreatstory.com/snab/snab4.html
13. 6 Steps to Getting Published AND Paid, Jeanne Lyet Gassman, DynamicWriters, http://www.dynamicwriters.com/Articles/I-AmABusiness01.html
13. The Artful Collector, Jane Frank, Screaming Dreams, http://www.screamingdreams.com/estronomicon.htm
13. FRIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, David L Tamarin, Girls and Corpses, http://www.girlsandcorpses.com
13. Parental Rights in Children's Medical Care: Where Is Our Freedom to Say No?, Shirley Cheng, Shirley Cheng, http://www.shirleycheng.com
13. Web Writing, SEO and Keywords, Pam Gaulin, Associated Content, web_writing_seo_and_keywords
13. Literary Racim pt. 2, John B. Rosenman, The Shantytown Anomaly, http://www.geocities.com/theshantytownanomaly
13. Reading the Rhysling, Greg Beatty, Strange Horizons, http://www.strangehorizons.com/2006/20060213/beatty-rhys1-a.shtml
14. Top Ten Bikinis in Sci-Fi and Fantasy Films, Brianna Kelly, Staticmovement, http://www.staticmovementonline.com/Bikinis.htm
14. Writing Visual Dialect In Fiction, Tony Burton, Reflection's Edge, http://www.reflectionsedge.com/archives/july2006/wvdf_tb.html
14. Squire's Castle, Paul Campbell, RAZAR Magazine, http://www.razarmagazine.com
14. articles, Andrea James, Seatle P/I, http://
14. Dance with Your Heart: How to Befriend Your Heart and the World Around You, Shirley Cheng, Shirley Cheng, http://www.shirleycheng.com
14. Top Ten Bikinis in Sci-Fi and Fantasy Films , Brianna Kelly, Staticmovement, http://www.staticmovementonline.com/Bikinis.htm
14. Botom Voices :'When she hushes her past ...', Jesse Archer, OUT, http://www.jesseonthebrink.com
14. Heavyweights of Fantasy, David Wood, Gryphonwood, http://www.gryphonwood.net
14. Korean-Born Artist Finds a Home of Her Own Making in Canada, Betty Dobson, Gather.com (reprinted from Parkview News and BellaOnline: Canadian Culture), http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976755689