New entry May 06
Critters is 25!
Last November, Critters turned 25 years old! Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
The Sigil TrilogyIf you're looking for an amazing, WOW! science fiction story, check out THE SIGIL TRILOGY. This is — literally — one of the best science fiction novels I've ever read.
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
I was interviewed live on public radio for Critters' birthday, for those who want to listen.
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you're looking for great stuff to read from bestselling and award-winning authors—look no further! ReAnimus Press was founded by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
[Library: Critiquing| Forum | Tools| Writing | Workshops | Markets| Other ]
Here are some articles on how to critique...
- 'How the Workshop is Supposed to Work' by Ed Bryant
- 'The Diplomatic Critiquer' by Andrew Burt
- 'It's Not What You Say, But How You Say It' by Andrew Burt
- Examples of how tiny wording changes in critiques make all the difference by Andrew Burt
- 'How to Critique Fiction' by Victory Crayne (with a critique checklist)
'How to Succeed in an Online Writing Workshop' by
- Critique Template by Critter member Paul Hodges
- 'How to Cope with Critiquing' by Rich Hamper
- Turkey City Lexicon (SF critique terms to know and live by)
- Amy Sterling Casil's tips on critiquing
- Maureen McHugh's four-steps to a useful critique (very short - read it! :-)
- Spider Robinson's humorous song, Fifty Ways to Lose a Hugo. Some sample critiques