New entry Mar 20
Network speeding up
I'm switching the connection over to a new, shiny 10X faster network because of all the load. There might be bits of downtime as your boxes learn new addresses and things. Should be brief. Let me know of any prolonged outages you see.
Preditors & Editors Changeover
With the very sad passing of Dave Kuzminski, who ran P&E, I've taken over the P&E duties. Lots of what I hope are improvements; check it out at pred-ed.com.
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
The Sigil TrilogyIf you're looking for an amazing, WOW! science fiction story, check out THE SIGIL TRILOGY. This is — literally — one of the best science fiction novels I've ever read.
New Book from a Critter Member**NOW IN PRINT EDITION TOO!** Awesome new book, HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPECULATIVE FICTION OPENINGS, from a Critter member whose unearthed a shard of The Secret to becoming a pro writer. Really good piece of work. "...if you're at all concerned about story openings, you'd be nuts not to read what Qualkinbush has to say." —Wil McCarthy, author of BLOOM and THE COLLAPSIUM
is Dying has been Replaced
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you need help making ebooks from manuscripts or print copies—or finding great stuff to read—look no further! An ebook publisher started by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Here are some articles on how to critique...
- 'How the Workshop is Supposed to Work' by Ed Bryant
- 'The Diplomatic Critiquer' by Andrew Burt
- 'It's Not What You Say, But How You Say It' by Andrew Burt
- Examples of how tiny wording changes in critiques make all the difference by Andrew Burt
- 'How to Critique Fiction' by Victory Crayne (with a critique checklist)
'How to Succeed in an Online Writing Workshop' by
- Critique Template by Critter member Paul Hodges
- 'How to Cope with Critiquing' by Rich Hamper
- Turkey City Lexicon (SF critique terms to know and live by)
- Amy Sterling Casil's tips on critiquing
- Maureen McHugh's four-steps to a useful critique (very short - read it! :-)
- Spider Robinson's humorous song, Fifty Ways to Lose a Hugo.