New entry May 20
Critters is 25!
Last November, Critters turned 25 years old! Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
The Sigil TrilogyIf you're looking for an amazing, WOW! science fiction story, check out THE SIGIL TRILOGY. This is — literally — one of the best science fiction novels I've ever read.
I was interviewed live on public radio for Critters' birthday, for those who want to listen.
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you're looking for great stuff to read from bestselling and award-winning authors—look no further! ReAnimus Press was founded by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Critters Poll results
Critique.org now has Workshops for Everything — all genres, music, video, photography, art, apps.....
Convert your work to ebooks! Read great ebooks! The votemaster runs ReAnimus Press
See also the Best-Ever Voters Poll for the best works ever written (not just in the last year)
Short Stories pages: Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Steampunk | Magical Realism | Positive Future | All other | Anthologies page | Poems page | Nonfiction articles page | Nonfiction books page |
Other Categories: Artwork page | Book/e-book Cover Artwork page | Magazine/e-zine Cover Artwork page | Authors page | Poets page | Artists page | Book/e-book Editors page | Magazine/e-zine Editors page | Book Publishers page | Review site | Bookstore | Promotional Firms, Sites, and Resources page | Fiction 'zines page | Poetry 'zines page | Nonfiction 'zines page | Writers' Discussion Forum page | Writers' Workshop page | Writers' Resource/Information/News Source page |
Admin: Current standings | Best EVER Poll | Report an Error | VOTE! ]
Standings for Horror Short Stories
1. Fire in the Dark, Alex Azar, Shackle Bound Books, [link]
2. Ink, Akis Linardos, Maul Magazine, [link][comments]
3. In the Bleak Midwinter, Richard Sheppard, 18thWall Productions, [link]
3. Pumpkin Hollow, Pamela K. Kinney, Dreampunk Press, [link]
4. A Stop In The Woods, Claire Davon, Jersey Pines Ink, [link][comments]
5. Sisyphus Descending, Colleen Anderson, OnSpec #121, Vol. 31, [link]
5. The Hungry Place, Rosalind Barden, Mystery and Horror, LLC, [link][comments]
6. Getting Better, David Lee Zweifler, The Dread Machine, [link]
6. On the stage of The Mountain Seedling, Sergio ‘ente per ente’ Palumbo and Ernesto Canepa, Rogue Planet Press, [link]
6. Prototype, Leah Ning, Dark Matter Inc
6. Dragged to Hell, J.P. Jackson, NineStar Press, [link][comments]
6. The Day Sky Split Open, Andrew Najberg, The Colored Lens, [link]
6. Mating Rituals, M.C. St. John, Great Lakes Association of Horror Writers, [link]
6. Past the Projections, James Tager, Third Flatiron, [link][comments]
6. Return to the Earth, Christine Marek, 518 Publishing Company LLC, [link]
7. Hypnopompia, L. Marie Wood, Snarled, [link]
7. The Hour of Plywood Dreams, Harris Coverley, Rivanna Review, [link]