New entry May 06
Critters is 25!
This November, Critters is 25 years old! Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
The Sigil TrilogyIf you're looking for an amazing, WOW! science fiction story, check out THE SIGIL TRILOGY. This is — literally — one of the best science fiction novels I've ever read.
I was interviewed live on public radio for Critters' birthday, for those who want to listen.
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you're looking for great stuff to read from bestselling and award-winning authors—look no further! ReAnimus Press was founded by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Critters Writers' Workshop,
The Annual Critters Readers' Poll
As part of our overall effort to assist and promote writers, we are proud to conduct the annual Critters Readers Poll. The poll has been running since 1997. We hope that this small effort helps all publishers and writers to thrive in what is a highly competitive environment.
There are dozens of categories (41 at this writing) covering all genres of writing and publishing:
- Print/ebook Novels: Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Steampunk | Magical Realism | Positive Futures | Erotica | Mystery | Thriller | Children's | Young Adult | All other
- Short Stories: Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Steampunk | Magical Realism | Positive Futures | All other | Anthologies | Poems | Nonfiction articles
- Other Categories: Artwork | Book/e-book Cover Artwork | Magazine/e-zine Cover Artwork | Authors | Poets | Artists | Book/e-book Editors | Magazine/e-zine Editors | Print/ebook Publishers | Review site | Bookstore | Promotional Firms, Sites, and Resources | Fiction 'zines | Poetry 'zines | Nonfiction 'zines | Writers' Discussion Forum | Writers' Workshop | Writers' Resource/Information/News Source
- Anyone can vote. Voting commences 24 December. The voting form and weekly results are farther down on this page. Please remember that you can nominate a new entry in any category simply by voting for them in the write-in box.
- Anything that fits one of this year's categories that was first published in the previous year by any publisher or self-publisher is eligible for nomination. Publishing within a forum or chat room does not constitute publishing for purposes of this contest.
- You may add and promote your own entries as well as those of others.
- One vote per person per category. (If you vote more than once in a category, your last vote is the one counted.) Multiple votes from the same person trying to look like multiple people will be voided.
- A category may have no winners declared if fraudulent votes prevent determining accurate counts.
- Names and email addresses will not be given to anyone for use in a mailing list. We use those for counting purposes to keep the contest honest.
- Sponsors provide prizes, to be awarded to a random drawing among voters. All prizes may not be awarded if email bounces trying to reach a randomly chosen winner.
- All nominations/votes are subject to verification.
- The Readers Poll ends 11:59:59PM of 14 January (UTC). Readers Poll Awards will be announced in February. Should technical difficulties occur, the poll may be extended.
- Sponsors may provide free products/services to randomly selected voters.
- The entry with the most votes in each category will receive a beautiful customized award badge similar to the one below. Winners and those placing in the Top10 are given permission to use the badges on their web sites, etc.
You'll be whisked to our fully automated voting form.
Vote in one or all categories.
Attention Authors and Publishers
Want to establish a link so your readers can find us easier and vote?
Why not click here and take one of our Link Back Emblems?
Will there be a subsequent Readers Poll?
Beginning 24 Dec, the Readers Poll will begin. It will conclude at 11:59:59PM UTC on each January 14th. The same simple rules will be in effect.
As well, we'd like to hear from our visitors as to what other categories should be included. Just send us a message with your opinion.
See for yourself just how good the writing is.
Award GIF was created from images provided by and is reproduced with permission from AURA/STScI.